Saturday May 15, 2021
How to turn a love of WRITING into a career as a published AUTHOR.
Or … how to maintain control of your Writing Career so that you can become a successful, professional Author.
Whether you just love writing, or you’re contemplating writing a book, or you’re physically writing a book (at any stage of completion), or if you’re dreaming of someday writing a book, this ‘writing and publishing’ workshop is for you.
During this workshop, you will learn about the publishing industry (the good, bad and ugly), how to pitch a manuscript, what it REALLY means to be ‘offered a contract’, and what your alternatives are to signing your manuscript over to a publisher – and what it really gets you if you do. Learn how to effectively promote yourself as an author by using social media, establishing a profile, getting your work ‘out there’, building an audience, marketing and branding yourself and earning an income from your writing, both short term and long term.
During this workshop, you will learn how to:
- Plan and Structure your Manuscript;
- Remove Writer’s Block;
You will also be given several Writing Tips and Creative Exercises that will help develop a healthy writing formula that will work perfectly just for you.
During this workshop, you will be invited to ask yourself:
- What genre / type of book am I wanting to write?
- How do I structure my book? Is there a template to work to?
- Whose story am I telling?
- What will my readings take home from reading my book?
For example, are you writing a novel? A novella? A how to book (like a recipe book)? A fantasy? Sci-fi? Adventure? Love story? Biography? Knowing what you want to write, how your going to write it, and who you are writing for are three of the most essential things to work out before you put pen to paper.
During this workshop, you will also learn about the pros and cons of being published:
- How to properly plan and submit a manuscript;
- Your chances of being ‘picked up’ by a publishing house;
- Advances and Royalties;
- Publishing Contracts, and what to look and watch for;
- Distribution – Getting your books into shops and overseas;
- Copyright and protecting yourself as an author;
- Promotion and Publicity;
- And learn about the pros and cons of being self-published.